Study Visa Application in New Zealand
Immigration New Zealand (INZ) requirements you need to meet when you apply for a visa, including an offer of place on an approved programme of study.
- Complete an application form
- Visa Fee
- When you apply for a student visa, you must pay a fee
- Offer of a place
If you are enrolling in a programme of study for the first time, you need to have an offer of place from a New Zealand education provider. An offer must include:
- The education provider's name and contact details
- The name of the programme of study and its duration
- Proof that the programme of study and the education provider meet New Zealand’s requirements for international students
- The amount of the tuition fee for the complete programme of study , or if the programme of study is longer than one year, the annual tuition fee
- Whether you have to pay tuition fees
- Whether the fees are domestic or international fees
- Whether the study is full-time or part-time
- Confirmation that all requirements under the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students are met, including accommodation for under 18 year olds and the prerequisites for your programme study.
See the detailed offer of place requirements of international students.
Approved education providers
Your programme of study must be approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) and be offered by an education provider that has been approved by NZQA or the Ministry of Education.
Private training establishments (PTEs) can only offer approved programmes of study that are longer than three months and registered with the NZQA. The PTE must be accredited by the NZQA to offer the programme of study.
Institutions including universities, polytechnics, colleges of education and wananga can only offer approved programmes of study that are longer than three months and registered with the NZQA. The institution must be accredited to offer the programme of study. The enrolment of an international student must not prevent a New Zealand student or an NZAP student from gaining a place at the same institution.
Your health and character
You have to meet our health and character requirements and prove that the intention of your stay in New Zealand is genuine.
Meeting our health requirements
You need to provide a Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) if you will be in New Zealand for more than six months to show you have been screened for tuberculosis (TB).
You are required to hold appropriate and current medical and travel insurance as a condition of your visa regardless of the length of your stay in New Zealand.
Evidence of funds to support yourself
You must show that you will be financially supported throughout your stay in New Zealand.
You must have a passport that is valid for at least three months past the end of your intended stay.